Thursday, August 04, 2005

Job seek

Since first week of July, my wife has been searching for a job as she had her cut from recent lay-offs trend. Writing/modifying her resume for each application, keeping track of them, incoming emails, voice mails, print outs, replying to emails, adding the ads to favorites as future references, people we know who can help her finding a job, people we know who knows somebody that can help her finding a job, categorizing jobs like:

  • Jobs, she doesn't give a rat's ass
  • Jobs, she can take it or leave it
  • Jobs, she feels like , it is the last job on earth. she can't let that slip away between her fingers.
  • Odd jobs, that she would like to give it a try
  • Cute jobs, she would loved to do, but only pays $5.00 per hour.

Over time this process gets fucking confusing and paper extensive. If you are about to go through this, first, you better open up an arm long space in your filing cabinet or like we did, you can use your floor for your resumes & tps reports and your cats as paper weights (hello tigger & hello baseball :-).

Today she decided to apply for an odd job. My favorite one was psycologist receptionist, her's wasn't.
After a little "i said, you said" game:

I said: “Use this word”
She said: “What? Qualifications? Abilities? Organizations? System?”
I said: ‘NO!, you sound so formal – has it worked yet for you?”
She said: “This is what you are suppose to say!”
I said: “Well? Is it working for you?!”
She said: “Sorry. After 2 months of job searching, my ass is so tight I could crack an egg in it.”

Finally she sent her resume with a different cover letter against all teachings she has been through with well known hiring consulting company. Let's see, what happens next!


Dear Sir,
When I came across your posting for a Personal Assistant listed on website.com, I said to myself "I am that job". Knowing your time is valuable, I’ll keep this cover letter short and to the point.
For 14 years, I have a solid reputation of streamlining chaotic systems. I have applied these attributes to corporations; however, I have never worked for just one person. As I continue to job seek and fret a mundane cubicle life, your ad is appealing and refreshing to me.
To review all the formalities, my resume is attached.
Sincerely,


For those who are interested,there is a building called INITECH @ Encinitas.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can relate. I just moved from California to Toronto (yep, that's across a border) following my husband who got a job transfer. He thinks I should get an "outside the house" job. I am not looking forward to this, and frankly I don't have the file space. We have been here since February, and still, the people we know here are only his co-workers. I just wish the company provided a little more support for the spouse in a such a BIG move to a new country. We both made a big sacrafice to be here. When I suggested that I could apply at the local Staple store (conveniently located next to our workout gym), he acted like he would be embarrassed to tell his co-workers. That hurt. The catch 22 is that we are only here on a limited time basis. The work permits are only issued for two years. I am also writing a book, but will really just feel like a poser until I get published.

Wednesday, August 10, 2005 5:43:00 AM  
Anonymous Miss Bloggy-Pants said...

Hey, why don't you just blog your way into a book deal and volunteer at a senior center where they'll appreciate your personality, if not nationality?

Thursday, August 25, 2005 1:09:00 PM  
Blogger edfrie50249394 said...

i thought your blog was cool and i think you may like this cool Website. now just Click Here

Wednesday, September 28, 2005 1:21:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a good letter... i hope it works!

Tuesday, August 08, 2006 7:08:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home